Beyond climate change, we are also working to minimize our impact on the environment in other areas by making efficient use of resources including energy, water and raw materials.
By applying World Class Manufacturing (WCM) principles, we can reduce waste, minimize water loss, improve efficiency and reduce energy consumption across all our operations. We use WCM to benchmark our top performing sites, capturing good practice and ensuring that it is applied systematically across the company. Improved technology has also helped cut waste, and we recycle close to 100% of material waste; the remainder is disposed of responsibly and in line with current regulations.
The chemicals we use in our operations are subject to approval before introduction and their use is controlled and managed by environmental and safety staff at our sites. Any hazardous waste we produce is handled in line with local law and best practice. We apply the precautionary principle throughout our operations; so where a potential risk is identified we will seek to eliminate or reduce that risk by choosing a better alternative or implementing risk reduction measures.
All our sites, including converting and other production sites in Europe, also have obligations under EU REACH regulations covering the registration, evaluation, authorization and restriction of chemicals. Similar chemicals legislation is emerging in many other geographies and we are working continuously to ensure that our business, and the materials we use, are compliant. Colleagues responsible for chemicals at all sites are given training to understand how the REACH regulations apply to their activities
The amount of water used for production on our own sites is modest. Nevertheless, we are constantly looking for opportunities to implement simple water saving measures, in particular in areas where water is scarce.
However, water usage is a significant consideration in relation to the equipment we develop and sell, so our efforts are focused on reducing consumption in this area, including through our Environmental Benchmarking Service and products such as the Water Filtering Station.
We use external certification in the form of the international environmental management standard ISO14001 to ensure that environmental issues and impacts are managed in a systematic way at our production facilities around the world. At the end of 2015, 92% of our factories were certified, with certification in progress for the remaining 8%. We have also certified our development processes.
Learn more about our environmental impact:
About Tetra Pak
Together with our customers we make food safe and available, everywhere. Since the start in 1951 we have taken pride in providing the best possible processing and packaging solutions for food.