Our Partners to raise awareness of sustainability
We work with industry organisations, non-governmental and international organisations (NGOs and IGOs) and multi-stakeholder initiatives around the world to raise awareness of sustainability issues, promote good practice and support specific projects. Below are just some examples of this.
- Cambridge Institute for Sustainable Business: Tetra Pak collaborated with the Cambridge Institute for Sustainability Leadership (CISL) on a programme called Rewiring The Economy, which helped translating the SDGs into tasks that could be either led by business, by governments, or by financial institutions. Tetra Pak was invited to contribute to a CISL report for being an example of a company that has understood the commercial imperative to deliver the SDGs.
- CDP An international non-profit, formerly known as the Carbon Disclosure Project, that runs a global disclosure system for investors, companies, cities, states and regions to manage their environmental impacts. Tetra Pak has been included in the CDP leadership band for five years in a row and to score an outstanding double ‘A’ for climate and forests programmes in 2020. In addition, Tetra Pak was recognized as a Supplier Engagement Leader for the fourth time in a row in 2020.
- Carbon Trust: A company that helps governments, organisations and companies reduce their carbon emissions and become more resource efficient. Its stated mission is to accelerate the move to a sustainable, low carbon economy. Tetra Pak works with the Carbon Trust to verify our Carton CO2e calculator.
- Caring for Climate We are a signatory to this UN Global Compact initiative, which focuses on developing the role of business in addressing climate change.
- EcoVadis: An organisation that produces ratings and scorecards to help procurement teams monitor sustainability practices in their supply chains, across 180 sectors and 150 countries. Tetra Pak has received a gold rating from EcoVadis in 2018.
- Forest Stewardship Council™ (FSC™) FSC is an independent NGO that promotes responsible management of the world’s forests. Its consensus-driven multi-stakeholder decision processes define social, environmental and economic criteria for forest management operations and how its certification programme best meets the criteria for sustainable forestry management on a global scale. Tetra Pak is an active member of FSC International. The FSC™ licence code for Tetra Pak is FSC® C01404
- Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN) Approximately 800 million people worldwide suffer from malnutrition. We partner with GAIN to reduce that number by providing nutrition to populations at risk, including through school feeding programmes. The long-term goal is to ensure a supply of market-viable fortified goods to people suffering from malnutrition.
- Global Child Nutrition Foundation (GCNF) GCNF’s mission is to expand opportunities for the world’s children to receive adequate nutrition for learning and achieving their potential. A Tetra Laval representative has sat on the board of the GCNF since 2008.
- SAVE FOOD We are members of this initiative that aims to bring industry, research, politics and civil society together to find solutions to the problem of food loss and food waste, and to raise consumer awareness of the issue.
- Scaling Up Nutrition (SUN) Tetra Laval joined SUN in 2013 and sits on the SUN Business Network Advisory Board. SUN supports national leadership and collective action to address malnutrition around the world. Our commitment shows our support for a network of governments, civil society, NGOs, donors, businesses and researchers working to improve nutrition in 55 countries.
- Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida) Sida is a government agency working on behalf of the Swedish parliament and government with a mission to reduce global poverty. In May 2013, Tetra Laval was one of 20 Swedish and Swedish-based companies that joined the Sida-led Swedish Leadership for Sustainable Development initiative, agreeing to contribute to sustainable development and poverty reduction beyond the UN Millennium Development Goals.
- The Sustainability Consortium (TSC) TSC brings together diverse global participants to work collaboratively to encourage innovation in the area of consumer product sustainability.
- Systemiq worked with Tetra Pak and many other partners on new report Cities and Circular Economy for Food, written by the Ellen MacArthur Foundation. The report highlights the enormous environmental damage caused by food production.
- UN Global Compact (UNGC) Tetra Pak became a signatory to the UNGC in 2004, committing us to promoting 10 core sustainability principles. We are also signed up to the Caring for Climate initiative and support a number of wider UN objectives, including the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Veolia Tetra Pak has joined forces with global resource management company Veolia in a game-changing partnership that will enable all components of used beverage cartons collected within the European Union to be recycled by 2025.
- World Resources Institute (WRI) WRI is a global environmental thinktank with more than 50 active projects covering climate change, sustainable markets, ecosystem protection and environmentally responsible governance. We are members of the WRI Corporate-Consultative Group, and receive tailored support in specified areas: currently GHG reporting and water assessment methodologies. Our climate goal is based on the Institute’s GHG Protocol.
- Alliance for Beverage Cartons and the Environment (ACE) We are members of ACE, a European platform that enables beverage carton manufacturers and their paperboard suppliers to benchmark and profile cartons as a renewable, recyclable and low-carbon packaging solution. ACE has contributed to increased industry-wide efforts to measure our sector’s water footprint. ACE includes national organisations such as ACE-UK and Recarton-Germany, of which we are active members.
- Aluminium Stewardship Initiative (ASI) We are a supporter and founder member of the ASI, established in 2012. The ASI’s Performance Standard covers governance and environmental and social aspects of aluminium production. A Chain of Custody standard and assurance model are in development.
- CE100 We are a member of this global platform (under the Ellen MacArthur Foundation) that brings together leading companies, emerging innovators and regions to accelerate the transition to a circular economy
- A Circular Economy for Flexible Packaging (CEFLEX) We are a member of this collaborative European consortium of companies, which includes representatives from the entire value chain of flexible packaging. The CEFLEX project mission is to make flexible packaging more relevant to the circular economy by advancing better system design solutions.
- China Packaging Federation (CPF) A self-regulatory industrial organisation founded to promote the rapid, healthy and harmonious development of China’s packaging industry.
- Consumer Goods Forum (CGF) CGF is a global, parity-based industry network. It brings together more than 400 retailers, manufacturers, service providers and other stakeholders across 70 countries. Its strategic pillars are: emerging trends, sustainability, safety and health, operational excellence and knowledge sharing, and people development. Examples of our work with CGF include a project to approve a set of common principles for sustainable packaging jointly defined by our customers and retailers.
- European Organization for Packaging and the Environment (EUROPEN) EUROPEN is a pan-European body that promotes the benefits of packaging. It supports packaging policies that are environmentally, economically and scientifically sound, as well as socially and politically acceptable. EUROPEN aims to achieve a fully accessible European market for packaging and packaged products, while protecting the product and the environment.
- European Fruit Juice Association (AIJN) AIJN is the representative association of the fruit juice industry in the EU, founded in 1958. Based in Brussels, it represents the industry from fruit processors to packers of consumer products.
- Global Dairy Platform (GDP) We play an active role in the GDP, a member organisation founded in 2006 that seeks to align and support the dairy industry to promote sustainable dairy nutrition, enabling corporations, cooperatives and associations to collaborate on common challenges and stimulate demand for dairy products. We have also signed up to the Dairy Sustainability Framework (DSF), developed under the leadership of the GDP.
- SUSTENTA Sustenta is a private association dedicated to promoting and developing integrated waste management in Mexico. We have been members since 1995, and have chaired the organisation for the past 12 years. Other members include major global customers such as Danone, The Coca-Cola Company and Unilever
- Carton Council We are a founding member of the Carton Council, a group of carton manufacturers united to deliver long-term collaborative solutions in order to divert valuable cartons from the landfill.